[Coco] ?UPS ERROR IN 666 (was Anyone have any TRS-80 8" floppies)

Mon Apr 27 19:18:40 EDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Christian Lesage wrote:
> J.P. Samson wrote:
>> For example, I bought a CoCo 1 for $31 off eBay.  Got shipped via
>> UPS Ground.
> Never, ever, use UPS. It looks cheaper at first, but they charge
> hidden fees to the addressee. Ask the seller to use USPS. Your
> parcel will be handled by Canada Post after it enters into Canada,
> and they will charge you a flat $5 fee plus whatever the customs
> duties are (if any) plus the usual taxes (if any). It may take a few
> more days, but you won't get ripped off.

Yeah, I've become pretty experienced picking shipping methods.  That's
why I tend to ask individuals to mark items as $15 on the customs
forms, for example.  It is old, used, mostly worthless computer
equipment after all.  The only problem with USPS/Canada Post is that
it is slow--it usually takes up to three weeks for packages to arrive.

Avoid the basic UPS service (Ground, Standard).  The various UPS
Express and Expedited services are very good in that there are no
hidden customs/collection fees, although the shipping prices for these
faster courier services can be high, especially for individuals.  If
you are buying from a company, they often have reasonable deals with
UPS in terms of Express/Expedited prices.  Avoid FedEx period.

-- JP