[Coco] Anyone have any TRS-80 8" floppies

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 17:13:05 EDT 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009, Christian Lesage wrote:
>Grumpyx wrote:
>> I have a  8" drive Expansion box if anyone wants it. I think it has all 3
>> drives in it. I live in the Chattanooga, TN area, I hate to throw it out,
>> but it's just in the way. Let  me know if you interested in it.
>> Malcom
>
>I would love to have them... but I live in Québec, Canada, and shipping
>would cost me and arm and a leg!

Tell that to your customs critters.  I've had my battles with them to the
extent that when something canadian dies and needs to be returrned to the
factory for service, I've found that the techs at CBS network HQ can get it
through about a month faster both ways.  No idea if they send Tony and Luigi
over to 'talk' to them or what. :)

Your customs headache costs good Canadian companies at least 20 million
dollars a year in lost business cuz we just won't buy it unless it is the only
thing that will get the job done, we can't tolerate the tin-pot dictatorial
attitude at the border.  As the CE at a tv station down here, their lags in
getting things through and onto a truck on the other side of the river have
cost us at least $20,000 in lost revenue, and one time we were threatened with
a $27,500/day fine by the FCC because we weren't doing the mandated closed
captioning.  When I got on the horn to find where it was as it had gone north
via UPS, using their customs declarations forms, 70 days before, it was still
laying in the corner waiting on another paper neither UPS nor I didn't know it
needed, and had never got past the north bank of the river.  And they didn't
have a quarter to call the shipper and see about fixing it.  And they
certainly weren't about to listen to me vent, hanging up on me.

Maybe you don't see it that way, but to us, your customs is a headache that
guides future purchasing decisions down here very firmly.  Now I'm retired,
and someone else has that headache to deal with.  I sort of like it that way.
:)

And I don't mean to take it out on you either, Christian.  But you do have a
vote, just like I do.