[Coco] [Color Computer] coco ethernet project

James Dessart skwirl42 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 21:15:34 EDT 2009

On 4/23/09, stinger30au <stinger30au at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> i just stumbled across this on the net
>
>  http://skwirl.com/coco/ethernet/
>
>  from 5 years ago
>
>  surely it must be built by now

That'd be nice, wouldn't it? A number of factors conspired to keep me
from even designing the card, and now my CoCo is too far away to even
bother.

However, someone with a modest amount of circuit design skills should
be able to throw together a design using a CS8900a chip, which is the
one used in most 8-bit ethernet projects. A driver could easily be
written to work with uIP, possibly using the C64 driver for The Final
Ethernet as inspiration.

If such a person were ok with the card taking 32 bytes of IO space,
the implementation could be quite brain-dead. I wasn't okay with that,
and my circuit design skills aren't at the point where I'd be
comfortable putting that together on my own.

Then the question arrives, what are you going to do with it? Once you
have ethernet hardware and a working IP stack, your options are mainly
limited by RAM.

--
James Dessart
<http://skwirl.com/cody/>