[Coco] Drivewire run on Windows 2000? was :Drivewire vs. Win2k

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Thu Apr 23 18:15:28 EDT 2009

Bill,
Over at NewEgg.com, you can get Seagate 80 GB ATA IDE hard drive for
only $36.99.  (Cheaper if SATA.)
An even better deal is a full 1TB Seagate is going for $84.00 with free
shipping!

That's 80 GB hardware is 20 times the room you will need for XP setup.
Also, you don't want to be using a drive that is over 5 years old.
Drives do have a limit life and will start to give up at some point.
While SpinRite can extend the life of a drive, don't count on more than
another year or two at best. I've been using hard drives since my CoCo
days and trust me, you never want a drive to die and lose all your data
on it.  Backups help, but you never get everything back.

With a larger drive you can create many partitions for backups and other
operating systems.

Memory is cheap right now and I would run a minimum of 512 MB of RAM on
a XP system.  (A full 1GB if you are using integrated graphics on the
motherboard.)
But the longer you wait to upgrade the memory on a older system the more
the memory will cost.  I've seen  PC 3200 speed memory jump about 25% in
the last 6 months.

It's time to use a crowbar and open up that wallet before it really
costs you.