[Coco] Forums versus email was: Re: I think I hit a nerve with my CoCoList Survey on email.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 23 13:35:30 EDT 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009, John W. Linville wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 09:12:50AM -0600, William Astle wrote:
[...]
>> I'll leave with one final note. If we had such a system as I just
>> outlined, it would solve any problems for Steve's hypothetical user that
>> has email access but no web access.

I do not personally think such a coco user exists.  We all have other machines
with which to access the net with any protocol of our choice.  I personally
never went the windows route, going from a coco to an amiga and then to an x86
box running linux, but I still keep my coco3 ready to rock & roll when I flip
the power strips switch.

>I find it curious that I know of no such system.  Such integration
>would seem obvious.  Perhaps web developers just don't grok email
>standards?

Now that I've had to assume was a given, it is certainly well demonstrated.
They all to a fault, think its perfectly ok to wrap a 300 character message up
in 10 kilobytes of html to make it "pretty".  I do not and never have thought
that was ok.  html is for web pages, plain old ascii text is for messages.

If my text doesn't stand on its own without the 'pretty' distraction, then
obviously I need to study up on my language skills.  And I think I do
moderately well in that department for an old fart with an 8th grade
education. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)