[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users.

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 09:14:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:
> The problem with webforums is that most of the software out there makes
> it a pain to download information. It's also a pull process which makes it
> harder to make timely announcements to the members. The strength and limitations
> of both are why the groups have both mailing lists and web forums. Of the
> two the web forum is by far more popular.

As James Daggett pointed out, email is also a "pull" process as far as
the client is concerned. Many of us are on broadband and simply open
our email clients and have it polling the servers every 10 minutes or
so, so it might look otherwise. But for those who would answer the
original questions as "I only have email," this would probably not be
the case.

I already stated my preference for mail lists, but I've been known to
hang out on (and even help administer) a few forums as well. Well
administrated forums have less spam than makes it through my email
filters, support full RSS feeds (saving the need to actually log in
unless I want to reply to something), and aren't overly painful to
use.

Rod