[Coco] I think I hit a nerve with my CoCoList Survey on email.

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 23 08:02:07 EDT 2009

Christian Lesage wrote:
> Frank Pittel wrote:
>> I'm often amazed at how many people will not use a web forum. These days
>> I think that it can be assumed that people with an internet access that
>> allows email access also have web access as well as a browser.
>>
> Probably, but some people are still on dial-up. Accessing a forum
> through the web in such conditions can be too slow to be practical.

Speaking as one who has dial-up, I'd say you have that backwards. I have
little choice when reading e-mail; I download all or nothing to read any
one message. When I go to a forum such as at Coco3.com, I can read or
not read as I chose and don't need to download anything unless I want to
read a message.

Further, given that most posters to Maltedmedia refuse to alter the
subject line as it should be. There is much more junk in the e-mail than
at a forum. I tend to throw out many threads without bothering to read
any of the messages. What happened with Steve's initial message is a
perfect example.