[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users.

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Wed Apr 22 21:48:47 EDT 2009

As I mentioned in another email I'm a member of a number of groups
and maintain both a mailing list and web forum for them. They both have
strengths and weaknesses. The mailing list is a push process in which
members get the email quickly without having to go to the forum. The
problems is that 9 out of 10 subscribers become "topic cops" and berate
everyone but themselves for their "offtopic" posts that "fillup" their
mailboxs and threaten to unsubscribe if they don't get their way.

The problem with webforums is that most of the software out there makes
it a pain to download information. It's also a pull process which makes it
harder to make timely announcements to the members. The strength and limitations
of both are why the groups have both mailing lists and web forums. Of the
two the web forum is by far more popular.

Frank