[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users.

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Apr 22 20:36:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:06:55PM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 12:57 PM 4/22/2009, you wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:59:27AM -0500, Sean wrote:
>> > Mailing lists are good for current discussions, but forums are much
>> > better for archiving info or being able to search for specific topics.
>
>> * Citation needed *
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=color+computer+forum

Congratulations!  Google can find your website...so?

>> If anything, I find web forums to be _much_ more _difficult_ to search
>> for specific topics.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=color+computer+forum+nitros-9

Setting aside whether or not "nitros-9" is a _specific_ topic...

All that does is point me at your forum.  It doesn't prevent me
from having to click through it or deal with its awkward interface.
And if I wanted a local copy of the information, I either need to cut &
paste to an editor or I need to mirror your website (which also could
change on a whim).

For comparison:

	http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/coco/2009-April/thread.html

Of course, that still completely misses the point.  I don't want to
have to use a web interface _at_all_.  The email comes to me, and if
I think it will be interesting in the future then I don't delete it.
When I want to search for something, it is probably in my mail
folder already.  And if not, Dennis/Mailman has it waiting for me.

John

P.S.  Couldn't leave "specific topic" alone...

	http://www.google.com/search?q=color+computer+superboard