[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users.

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Wed Apr 22 20:46:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:44:15PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> >On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Mark McDougall wrote:
> >> My $.02 worth...
> >>
> >> I hate web-based forums with a passion. They're cumbersome, slow to use,
> >> each one has a subtly different UI, and it's very difficult to get an
> >> overview of the active topics and where the traffic is.
> >
> >Amen, Bro.  I'll second and third this.  I find web forums highly annoying
> >and the very fact of them _being_ web-based limits my interest in
> >participating.
> >
> >Steve
>
> And here is another chorus of Amen's.

I find this very interesting. I maintain a number of web forums using the smf web
forum software and have been very happy with it. Some how I've managed to keep the
spam out and don't have any advertising.

Prior to setting up at least one of the web forums the communication for the group
was via a mailing list that I also maintain. When I setup the forum virtually ALL the
traffic on the mailing list stopped and went to the web forum. I didn't care for web
forums at the time but have gotten used to them and even like them.

Frank