[Coco] How would a CoCo laptop look like?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Apr 21 12:08:26 EDT 2009

Torsten Dittel wrote:
> There's a C=64 Mod here:
>
> http://benheck.com/04-05-2009/commodore-64-original-hardware-laptop
>
> How could a comparable CoCo3 Mod look like?

That's very cool.  I wish he supplied more construction details.  What
kind of LCD did he use?  (He says it's a Nokia, but more info would be
useful -- is it NTSC?  Where did he get it?  How much does it cost?)
What material did he use for the case.  He used a router to shape it.
Was it wood?

I think that if I were going to do a project like that, I would build it
around a CoCo3 FPGA.  The Spartan 3 development boards are quite small
(about 4.5" x 6"), fast, and will already work with a VGA LCD, which
would be much easier to find and probably cheaper than one with
composite video.

As for the look, I think it should be based on the CoCo 3, but maybe
projected 3 or 4 years into the 'future'.  Where would they have gone
with the design in 1990 or 1991?  You would want to try to work in the
shape if not the function of the cooling vents on the top and the little
recessed and textured space surrounding the vents and keyboard.  You
would certainly want to try to retain the Tandy typeface and the
'oblique triad' of RGB obelisks.

JCE