[Coco] RLL hard drive

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 19 17:52:06 EDT 2009

Bill wrote:
> Does anyone know if an RLL hard drive will co-exist with an IDE in a PC? I
> haven't had time to try it, and I'd like to hear if anyone has made it work
> so I won't mess things up.

I have tried it with an MFM controler, which is pretty similar, and the
answer is it depends on a lot of things some MFM/FLL cards can be
jumpered to co-exist with IDE controlers others not.

Also there is the rather more serious problems with compatibility
between drives formatted on different controlers, though I have found
that if they use the same chipset, then you have a much better chance of
making it work, even between different machines, e.g. I have an old
Altos 3068 unix machine that has a WD MFM chipset, and I can read it's
drives on a WD baded PC MFM controler.

Cheers.

Phill.