[Coco] Coco Homebrew ROM Cartridge?

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Apr 19 11:04:57 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----

From: "Derek"

> Was wondering if it would be possible to get

> a Homebrew custom coco cartridge working.

> Could you put multiple game roms with a menu

> on a single cartridge?

I piggybacked the Polaris & Chess ROMs back in 1985 with a switch between
them.  That still works.  What you need to do is set up switches to allow
any 4k to 8k section to address at &hC000.  Conceivably you could make a
soft switch controllable with pokes, but most cartridges would require a
hard reset to exit.

> The reason I ask is I just saw the custom made

> cartridge board advertisement on the coco3.com

> home page and it got me curious

They come with jumpers or switches for 8k upper, 8k lower or all 16k of the
27128 EPROM.  That is a 2 in one ROM pack.  Figure out the switch pattern
for the 27512 EPROM and you have 8 or more RomPaks in one.

Bruce W.