[Coco] OS-9 environment variables?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Apr 15 22:41:30 EDT 2009

At 09:13 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:
>Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way in OS-9 to store a few bytes or a string from one
> > module and access that data from another module by nickname or some
> > other global handle?
> >
> > Can the data persist after hitting Reset to reboot OS-9?
>
>Isn't this what device descriptors are for?

Not for what I need to do.  I need the Boot module to know what Disk
BASIC had set the 6551 for (the command and control registers).  It
knows this on a first time boot because the data is there on the
chip.  Hitting reset clears the registers.  Boot then can't read
os9boot from the virtual disk across the serial link unless it sets
the 6551 back up.  I could take a lazy approach and just set the baud
rate to say, 115200 bps, but what if the user wants only a 19200 bps
connection, or even a 9600 bps.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com