[Coco] OS-9 environment variables?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Apr 15 21:34:40 EDT 2009

At 07:21 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:
>Allen Huffman wrote:
>>On Apr 15, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Tim Fadden wrote:
>>>Ya, configuration file that define the ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES.
>>
>>Incidentally, If I can find it, I have routines I wrote for reading
>>INI-type files for some of my C programs (the EthaGUI library and
>>Towel disk utility for OS-9). I will have to dig all that stuff out
>>-- I bet I could write it significantly better today, so I may redo
>>the whole thing sometime.
>>
>>         -- Allen
>>

>>--
>>
>I don't know of anything in os9 that uses an "environment variable".

After all these years of not having any, nobody would miss them
now.  It was an 2-birds with one stone idea.  There needs to be a way
to save a few bytes that guarantee to be found in RAM after hitting
Reset, even if a 64k byte for byte search is done.  I got the idea of
prefixing the data with a unique text string.

>  It would be nice to turn on and off logging in the shell without
> patching the module, and some things like that. I suppose you could
> have multiple execution paths, library paths etc, But all of the
> programs that use such things would have to be re-written in order
> to take use of it.
>
>Wasn't the original reason for this thread to keep the wireless baud
>rate between reboots?   Seems it would be easier to just make a new
>os9 kernel with the custom dd for the wireless. I don't have one of
>these things, so not just exactly sure what he was getting at.

Yes, when these threads spawn off it sure does make for a big bowl of
idea soup.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com