[Coco] OS-9 environment variables?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Apr 15 15:06:32 EDT 2009

At 01:37 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:
>Don't most OS's keep the environment variables in a file?  like
>.profoile, .csh, .login .logout etc?  Seems that approch would be
>best. The printenv and setenv are temporary. To make it permenant,
>the file needs to be changed.  Solaris works this way, and I suspect
>so do all the rest of the unix's.  These would be kept on the /dd
>device, and read by the shell when it starts.  On multiuser systems,
>it would be read from the users home directory.  This would be a
>great addition to our OS9.
>
>Unless you are talking about something else.
>
>Tim Fadden

Tim, due to the nature of CoCoNet, the 6551 needs to be re-configured
upon entry into the Boot module (if Reset was pressed during a prior
OS-9 session).  The bitrate needs to be the same as it was before
hitting Reset and clearing the 6551 out; the bitrate which was set
Only by Disk BASIC/CoCoNet before the DOS command kickstarted the
virtual drive routines.  This lets the user choose his own bitrate
from the many supported by the 6551, for whatever reason he chooses
to use a slow one or the fastest, OS-9 doesn't need to screw with it
during the boot process, or afterwards.

By the way folks, I've been using a 230400 bps wireless connection
for NitrOS-9 for about a week and am just blown away by how much
smoother things go even at rates slower than real floppy drives since
there's no head seeking and track jumping delays.  The trick to using
230400 bps with my wireless pak or a Tandy pak is to use a 3.6864 mhz
crystal and be in 2mhz CPU mode, and ofcourse don't use sloppy
code.  Works like a charm!

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com