[Coco] The early (and dark) days of sending data.

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Sun Apr 12 11:33:38 EDT 2009

Roger,
While ASCII streams did allow manual entry,  I nor anyone that I knew
back than ever encoded a file by hand.
There was always a program around to encoded it, even in the early 70's.

By the way, a side effect of 110 baud speed was the delay in how long it
would take for the teletype terminal to print what you were keying in.
It would take about 200 milliseconds (1/5th of a second) to send the
character to the mainframe and send it it back to print it.
I could never get over the delay of hitting a key and the pause before I
heard it imprint on the paper.
Oh yes, the teletype also had its own delay while it lined up the right
character to print.

After stepping up to CRT terminal at 9600 baud, you could never go back.

Yes, those were the days.  Dark days.  But technology move on.

Steve Bjork