[Coco] Glenside Jacket Logo

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Sat Apr 11 23:24:29 EDT 2009

Brian, all attachments for email are larger than the file sent because
they are encoded ASCII and not in binary format.
It's a hold over from the 7-bit format days of early modems and
pre-Internet.

Remember, sending a 7-bit character was 9% faster than sending full
8-bit character.

An old 500 8-bit character message sent at 110 baud would take 50 seconds.
But a 500 7-bit character message send at the same speed would only take
45 seconds.  (5 seconds faster.)

The extra bit was a big deal till modem speeds hit about 2400 baud or
so.  But it was too late because encoded ASCII was the standard for
attachments.

Steve Bjork