[Coco] Artifacting on LCD?

LinuxRules Linux-Rules at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 8 21:37:19 EDT 2009

Allen Huffman wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2009, at 8:11 PM, LinuxRules wrote:
>> I don't recall if any of those ever went into production. (Several
>> "patch" mask sets were made
>> early on, before and during early production.....) It was kind of
>> strange to watch, though......
>
> Wow, there was a fixed VDG? That's very cool, John! Yeah, we got used
> to hitting reset over and over until a screen went red or blue, per
> game instructions at the start ;-)
>
>         -- Allen
Fixes? Yeah. Don't remember if or when the "power up problem" was fixed.
maybe never.....Hmmm. Maybe I should see if my old COCO 2 still works
and check it out......

IIRC most of the early fixes were "critical path" related.
The early design work was contracted out - unusual for MOT at the time.
The team doing that work used Standard Cell approach to shorten the time
of their contract (profit!). But, that caused horrible critical path
problems;
the design as delivered was not producible ny MOT(at a profit). So I and
a truly talented draftsman, pushed and shoved the design quite a bit.......
The detail are way too fuzzy after all this time, though..........

cheers,
john dumas
JohnDumas at austin.rr.com