[Coco] CoCo 3 Voltage Regulator heat sink

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu Apr 9 17:44:11 EDT 2009

While both of those options may reduce power consumption to some degree, my real world experience suggests the best way to deal with the CoCo 3 heat problem is to stick a 40mm fan near the PSU area. I've had a 512k/6809 CoCo running that way for years and years without issue. (Except maybe a little noise.)

If you're going to mess around with the PSU, I'd just (and have) take the Gene approach and just rip out the PSU entirely and run the thing off an external unit. I recycled an external switcher from an old dead Telebit router and used it for a CoCo 3/Disto 2MB repack.