[Coco] CoCo 3 Voltage Regulator heat sink

Stephen Adolph twospruces at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:34:35 EDT 2009

I'm sure everyone knows this, but the +5 supply in the COCO3 looks to
be a linear regulator..no wonder it is so hot.

I'm thinking about a 512k upgrade, but this power issue is pushing me
towards my "sram version" as opposed to a "dram version".

Also, a good argument for the 63C09 (or B).

I wonder if there is a nice little switchmode supply, like a PC VRM,
that could be dropped in there.  I don't know of any "common" VRMs for
5V (something I could find in my scrap electronics pile for example).

Anyone know of a nice tidy solution, that can work as an upgrade to
the standard COCO3?

..Steve