[Coco] CoCo 3 Voltage Regulator heat sink

Rick Taylor coder32768 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 00:56:34 EDT 2009

I had found a heat sink in a box - it's something I pulled out of an old
switching power supply, I think, maybe 3.5 inches square aluminum with fins.
I have it vertically mounted, seems to be adequate, but barely.
Incidentally, while putting the thing vertical, I applied a bit too much
torque and crunched the D880. I went to Jameco (with the mobo) and picked up
these at their will call counter, with a little help from them figuring out
what to use

<
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=33048&

I'm running it off a 200W AT style power supply. It's getting fairly toasty
but it's been running for about an hour and nothing's caught on fire yet
:-)

You can hold on to it for about three seconds before you go "wow! that's
hot!" and let go. I'm not particularly good with electronics. What would be
a better replacement that might run cooler?

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Robert Gault
<robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>wrote:

> N8WQ wrote:
>
>> Well I have my new 40 pin pcb connector soldered on the motherboard at a
>> 90 degree angle and it is working great in saving me some space in my mini
>> tower case. My next project is to put the stupid voltage regulator heat sink
>> in the vertical mode. Right now it is in the horizontal "space hog" mode. :)
>>
>> Has anybody on the list ever swapped out the heat sink with another
>> version?
>>
>> Alan Jones
>>

> Not me, but I did add a fan to a Coco3 so that there was significant air
> flow through the case.

All of this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted -
not so coldly charted; it's really just a question of your honesty.

- Neil Peart, Rush, _The Spirit of Radio_