[Coco] 5 1/4" drive

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 16:15:09 EDT 2009

On 4/7/09, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I have never, and I've dealt with a lot of oddball storage media over the
> years I've been a broadcast engineer, heard of a 300 kilobaud data rate
> being
> used, in anything.

----

A data rate of 300 kbps at 360 rpm is equivalent to 250 kbps at 300 rpm.

Standard PC controllers support that data rate. My CoCoDisk utility for
Windows will read a standard double density CoCo diskette in a drive that is
spinning at 360 rpm.  It times the interval between index hole pulses to see
how fast the motor is spinning.  If it detects 360 rpm then it sets the
controller's bit rate to 300 kbps (and double steps the head for each
track). It works quite well.

Darren