[Coco] 5 1/4" drive

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:57:33 EDT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have never, and I've dealt with a lot of oddball storage media over the
> years I've been a broadcast engineer, heard of a 300 kilobaud data rate being
> used, in anything.  Whenever there was a shift in data rates, it was to 500kb,
> and then to 1 megabaud for the 2.88 meg 3.5" floppies.
>
> If 300 kbaud was what it took to make it work, the 1773 family CAN do that,
> but ALL the controller conversions I've seen use a different chip and run it
> at 500 kbaud. Std DD floppies turn 300 rpm, the special 1.2 meggers turn 360
> rpm, which is why the otherwise identical 96 tpi drives will not give you 1.44
> megabytes of storage, but only 1.2 megs.  Driving them at 500 kilobyte data
> rates, at 300 rpm, should give you the full 1.44 megs.  And that is a direct
> scale.  If I had ever built one of the hi-dens I could easily prove that.
> Running the math the other way, if the data rate for a 720k, 250 kilobaud disk
> was switched to a 300 kilobaud rate, the disk capacity would only be 864
> kilobytes, not 1200k.
>
> I don't know who this Dave Dunfield is, but he is flat wrong on that point.

He is not wrong at all, and neither are all the people who wrote about
this fact. Please do some googling. Let's put it that way:  You format
and write to a double-density disk in a 360KB disk drive. The drive
spins at 300RPM and the floppy disk controller feeds it with a 250kbps
data stream. Now, you take the same disk, and put it in a 1.2MB drive,
which spins at 360RPM. What happens to the data rate? The RPM is
increased by 20%, and so is the data rate. 250kbps x 120% = 300kbps.

You are absolutely right when you say that a 5.25" HD drive would be
able to format a 1.44MB disk if it spun at 300RPM, but that's not the
point we're discussing. You are also right when you say that switching a
720KB drive from 250kbps to 300kbps would result in a 864KB format...
However, it is irrelevant because (as I already mentioned twice, and we
both agree on this fact) 5.25" HD drives use 500kpbs for high density
(and 300kbps for double density).