[Coco] File transfers over DriveWire between PC and Coco hard disk

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Apr 6 09:54:56 EDT 2009

Robert Gault wrote:
> There have been some claims that you need a floppy drive on the Coco
> to transfer files between a DriveWire mounted image on a PC and a Coco
> hard drive. That is not correct.
>
> It is easy to set up a RAM disk on a Coco for use with HDBDOS. Drives
> 2 and 3 become full RAM disk with a 512K Coco, rather than floppy or
> hard drive "disks" under Basic.
> The content of these drives is stable even after a hard reset with
> ALT+CTRL+REST.
>
> I have tested the RAM disk code that works with the KEN-TON scsi
> RGBDOS on a DriveWire HDBDOS system and the RAM disk still works. That
> means you can have your normal HDBDOS in ROM, load the RAM disk, load
> HDBDOS DW3, copy files from the PC to the RAM disk, reboot the Coco,
> start up the RAM disk, and the contents are still available for
> transfer to your Coco hard drive.

Hi Robert,

Which RAM disk are you using?  Is this one that is generally available?
I tried out at least a couple different RAM disk programs and they
stomped on Drivewire, so I've been working on a BASIC program to do some
Drivewire file management tasks.  If there's a RAM disk that does what I
need, I might turn my attention to other projects.

JCE