[Coco] DriveWire 3

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 4 22:11:00 EDT 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 03:14 PM 4/4/2009, you wrote:
>> >
>> >I believe IOGear uses Prolific chipsets for their USB-to-serial
>> >adapters, yes?
>>
>>Hoo boy, if they do, that is Rogers problem for sure.  FTDI chipsets are
>> the magic twanger.
>
>Why does CoCoNet not have a problem with the adaptor?

Probably because once you wake it up, it might be ok?  I don't know for sure,
but they are a huge PITA in situations where it might not have a byte to send
for several hours, like when using them with heyu.  Or trying to monitor the
data stream coming out of a UPS, that is moderately busy since the UPS will
normally issue a status update at about 1 second intervals to the monitoring
daemon.  In that service, the logs will record that the device has died, and
then showed up again, several times a minute, a great way to generate a 200
megabyte log in 2 or 3 days.  The machines uptime will be from whenever you
enable the UPSD to issue graceful shutdown orders because there has been a
power failure (so it thinks due to the error) when the first error occurs.

If you put a tee on the data coming out, what you see is that the first,
attention byte in a string of 4 or 5 (heyu) to maybe 75 from the ups, is
missing from the data stream.

Plug in an FTDI adaptor and everything works as expected.  2 weeks later the
last log entry will still be where it discovered the new device when you
plugged it in.  They Just Work(TM).

This has been researched at length on the heyu list, so I'm not just a voice
in the wilderness about this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)