[Coco] DriveWire 3

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Apr 4 15:49:35 EDT 2009

At 01:54 PM 4/4/2009, you wrote:
>Roger,
>I had minor problems with a USB adapter using the prolific chip
>set.  No where near the rate you are seeing.  Only 4 or 5 errors in
>70MB's of data.  No errors were reported via the DW3 server app,
>only from the OS9 prompt.  After switching to a true RS232 port, I
>have transferd over 300MB with no errors whatsoever.  I am not so
>technically inclined to decode the source, or determine if the
>errors where caused by the physical usb adapter itself, or the
>usb-serial drivers.  I am also able to do dir's, etc on the hard
>drive, and on the DW3 drive while the transfer is taking place with
>no ill effects.  All this while logged into Nitros9 via the serial
>port from my PC.  I do this in order to log for errors. 7 or 8 hours
>sitting watching the screen is a bit much for me! ha ha ha
>
>My hardware is CoCo 3 512k, Disto Super II, with 4in1, and scsisys
>drivers for the 2 hard disks.
>
>Your wireless is a great Idea,  but not good for me.  I want all my
>floppy's, HD's ports real time clock etc. available at all times,
>and with no mulit-pak its a bit hard.  :-)   Or, I need remedial
>instruction.  :-)
>
>Tim Fadden

Are you saying you don't have an MPI ?  If you do, the wireless pak
shouldn't keep you from using your floppies, HD's, RTC, etc.  It just
adds a wireless serial port.

I'm getting lots of bitbanger errors at the NOS 6809 L2 prompt
(115200 bps bitbanger).  About 50% of my attempts to build a new boot
disk result in a crash of NOS, sparklies and all.  Replug the USB
serial adaptor, reboot the DW3 server app, and it usually helps.  Strange.

Latest news!  Finally, a partially bootable 6551 bootable NOS
.dsk.  That is, I boot up the CoCo with CoCoNet Disk BASIC ROM, not
DriveWire, type DOS, and NitrOS-9 should boot OVER THE AIR from the PC.

I just got as far as the CoCoNet boot module talking to my
server.  It just requested LSN 0 and crashed, which was ascuallt
GREAT news.  Why?  Because I forgot to preserve reg.U in a subroutine
and was also referencing an ASCII decimal string using #direct
addressing by oversight.

I just made some changes and will post my results as soon as
something cool happens.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com