[Coco] NitrOS-9 sc6551 driver

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 3 14:33:09 EDT 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 11:00 AM 4/3/2009, you wrote:
>>I also had bigger probs making it work on linux, the dongles I bought
>> turrned
>
>Just a word thrown in here real quick before people read on.  It
>should be known that there are no known problems with using the
>wireless pak under OS-9/NitrOS-9.
>Any problem is probably going to be related to the bluetooth stack on
>the other computer, such as a Linux PC.  That's not an issue with my
>pak.  That's an issue with Linux (or the drivers used).
>
>I was sending text to the PC the minute after I booted with the 6551
>drivers in os9boot.  It was all set to go at 9600 bps by default on
>the pak + the drivers.  Instant match on the first use before the
>user changes anything.  In other words, no tweaking was needed.  I
>popped the cap off the pen and started writing.  :)
>
>>I hacked the address decoding of Rogers pak to put it at $FF64
>>yesterday, used
>>Ded to change the address in a copy of t2_sc6551.dd named t3_sc6551.dd,
>> added it to the genes.bl and then spent the better part of an hour trying
>> to run
>>
>>mb.genes.  We still have the crashing format command in 3.2.8, I think it
>> was
>
>Just to clarify that there's no crashing of my pak.  Gene probably
>means NitrOS-9 3.2.8's FORMAT command?

Yes of course Roger, I guess I didn't make that clear enough.  Its working
flawlessly for me so far.  The cast iron bitch was FORMAT /d0 while booted to
a 3.2.8 based disk.  I had to drop back to a 3.2.6 based disk.  And we don't
think its the format command, so far most fingers have been pointed at
rb1773.dr.  And I don't know ATM if I am using the nohalt driver or not.  But
I can check:
-----------------------------
{t3|03}/DD/NITROS9/6309L2/BOOTLISTS:list genes.bl
***************************************
* NitrOS-9 Level 2 Bootlist
*
* $Id: genes.bl,v 1.26 2006/04/21 15:35:25 genes Exp $
*
* This bootlist is presented as an example for creating custom bootfiles.
* A module may be excluded from the bootfile if an asterisk (*) is the
* first character of the line.
*
* PLEASE NOTE!  os9gen cannot cope with this file having
* an empty line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*
[...]
../MODULES/RBF/rb1773_scii_ff58.dr

Now, the 64K$ question is who knows of that's the no-halt version?

>>So the device name is correct.
>>I should turn off the xon/xoff ($offset $2A $2B) in that, it is not
>>being used
>>on this end. I haven't tested that yet, but hardware flow control is
>> supposed to work.
>
>If you absolutely need CTS/RTS, from the pak's command
>prompt >  type:  set flow hardware
>This will persist until you do a hard reset (while powering up), or
>typing >set flow none

But I don't have the command prompt anymore.  The eprom was pulled while I was
hacking the cs address.  So this will have to be done from a program I'll have
to write, and which is not yet written.

>>So now I have one less 25' cable to pick up an EMP when mother nature gets
>>upset.  That has cost me about a big buck in usb stuffs over the last
>> couple of years.
>
>Gene, I'm so glad you were able to get the wireless pak working under
>your Linux and CoCo setup!  For those who are spot reading this and
>are confused, Gene basically has a Lot of stuff connected and my pak
>conflicted with a Tandy pak he didn't want to remove.  So he slid the
>addressing down a few double words by soldering a few wires on the
>pak board.  Now that's a determined CoCoNut. :)

Now who is calling whom a nut? :)  Guilty...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)