[Coco] Drivewire 3 issues

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Apr 2 21:30:32 EDT 2009

At 12:04 PM 4/2/2009, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I just got Drivewire 3 burnt onto an EPROM and put it in a ROM Pak.
>It is a great product and a marvelous gift to the CoCo community.
>Thanks Cloud-9!

You have the Auto-Start jumper set for your controller or ROM
Pak.  Oddly enough, Disk BASIC still boots this way but it overrides
the CoCo 3 stuff.

Also, CoCo 3 users trying to patch their Disk BASIC ROM while it's in
RAM and saving out the image to burn to an EPROM should know that the
ROM won't run right on a CoCo 1 or 2.  The correct way to patch the
Disk BASIC "2.1" ROM is to run an All-RAM routine first that recopies
the original BASIC, ECB, and Disk BASIC ROMs into RAM, perform the
patches, then save the images.  Depending on the situation and the
ROMs in use, this might not work sometimes....

A cure I came up with is a new feature in CCASM that lets you write
DOS patch programs that are merged with an existing ROM image file to
create a ready-to-burn ROM.  For example, a typical CoCo 3 DOS
patcher is a LOADM'able file with multiple ORG statements that jump
around the DOS ROM/RAM making changes.  CCASM assembles the LOADM
file then overlays it with a copy of Disk BASIC 1.1.  The resulting
ROM is naturally compatible with all CoCos that can use a disk controller.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com