[Coco] Drivewire 3 issues

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Thu Apr 2 13:40:02 EDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Christian Lesage wrote:

> I don't use a disk controller. I removed the ROM from a "Shanghai"
> ROM Pak and replaced it with a 27C256. Since A14 (pin 27)  is held
> high in the ROM Pak, I offset the code by $4000 (i.e. it starts at
> $4000 instead of $0000). So out of 32kb, only 16kb are usable. I now
> realize that there's probably  a mechanism that allows the CoCo to
> check the ROM Pak size (8kb or 16kb). That's probably where my
> problems come from. The CoCo sees a 16kb ROM Pak while it should be
> an 8kb one, as if using a disk controller. So I guess I have to
> modify the ROM Pak, but how? It's been so long since I last played
> with CoCo hardware.

Christian,

I think your problem is that you haven't cut pin 8 on the cartridge,
and this is causing the program to auto start.  Try cutting pin 8 on
the cartridge and see if that helps.

>>> 2. I tried booting NitrOS-9 using the "nos96809l2_dw3.dsk" disk
>>> image. It does boot, but it doesn't allow me to input anything
>>> from the keyboard. However, I noticed the CoCo sends TIME requests
>>> to the DW3 host every minute, so I guess it is not frozen. Well,
>>> it's been 20 years or so since I last played with OS-9, so maybe
>>> there's a magic keystroke I don't remember.
>>
>> These are not problems that I or others have experienced.   There
>> must be something about your setup that is different.  Please
>> provide a list of what equipment you have.
>
> A stock 128k CoCo 3, my custom ROM Pak, and a PC (Asus P2B running
> Windows XP Pro SP3). The PC's regional options are configured for
> "French (Canada)". Will it cause a problem when NitrOS-9 wants to
> get the date and time?

I don't think localization will affect the time format that goes to
the CoCo.

Try cutting pin 8 and see if that clears up the SECB problem and the
keyboard issue.