[Coco] CoCoFest Report

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Apr 2 11:05:49 EDT 2009

I see lots of faces I recall in the photos, but can't always put the right names to them! a few have changed a good bit from when I last saw them -- Boisy and Mark for sure (but I still recognized them!) -- but others such as Allen, Alan, Tony & Linda, and Bro. Jeremy haven't changed much at all. Can't help but wonder if anyone would recognize me, but I don't think I've changed that much. I know there's one night at a Chicago fest that Tony, Linda, and Allen will never forget!  Seems like someone else was with us (Tony wasn't, he was LOOKING for us!), but I don't recall who... Allen??

Maybe next year I can get out to the fest just for old times sake, not sure right now. I hope I do get out there before the REAL last one passes!

I don't even mess with an emulator any more, not after finding out that I couldn't get the video right on my old HP (486) laptop. I finally gave that thing away. Wanted to set it up so it booted straight into the DOS emulator, just for fun (sort of make a "CoCo4" laptop), but that old Omnibook 6000 used some funky video chip or circuitry that the emulator just didn't like. Might work on my P3 Thinkpad 600e, but haven't had time to even try that!

I still like to keep up here on the list though, and might yet find time to pull one of the two CoCos I still have out. I saved a couple I thought might be collectible one day -- a grey CoCo1 that is either the first model capable of 64K or the last grey one (hmm... might be one and the same!), and a CoCo2B. Sold my two custom CoCo3s year ago because they were still very usable at the time, and I didn't want to let them sit in a closet and gather dust when someone would enjoy having them.

-----------
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:55:14 -0500
From: Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com>

On Apr 1, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Mark Marlette wrote:

> > Imagine what the name list would have been back in the late

Maybe that's why I was bad at names then. The sad thing is, I've been
"away" from the community long enough that I've forgotten people's
names that I used to know! Always embarrassing.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"