[Coco] Deluxe Wireless RS-232 Pak test case with NitrOS-9

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Apr 1 08:52:39 EDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 11:04 PM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
>> Boisy and gang,
>>
>> I'm in Hyperterminal on my laptop with a NitrOS-9 shell through the
>> bluetooth pak.  :)  9600 bps for starters, haven't tried 19200 bps
>> yet or higher.
>>
>> As expected, shell i=/t2& did what it's supposed to do.  The wierd
>> part is that it's the DriveWire version of NitrOS-9, so when I type
>> DIR from HyperTerminal, the real CoCo is reading the virtual disk
>> stored on the laptop, so it just feels funny, but at least it worked.
>>
>> Test Case #1: the "Deluxe Wireless RS-232 Pak" runs a 6809 CoCo 3
>> NitrOS-9 shell @ 9600 bps
>>
>> no pressure testing has been done past just browing some
>> directories and not missing any characters yet
>>
>> --
>> Roger Taylor
>

> Let me add what I forgot to mention:
>
> The connection between the PC and CoCo are using both my CoCo-to-PC
> serial cable and my wireless RS-232 pak (with HDB-DOS/DriveWire in
> it).  No real floppy controller is connected.  The reason the cable
> is used is so I can boot into NitrOS-9 some way since my controller
> is causing me some OS-9 boot problems.
>
> Even though I opened a shell into NOS from the PC over the air, the
> CoCo is still accessing it's system disk FROM the PC over the
> bitbanger cable.  Talk about a cool little situation.  Anyway, I
> don't want to use the bitbanger connection or DriveWire so I'll be
> working on a solution to why I can't boot NitrOS-9 using my Super
> Controller 1.  Once I get that working, the cable can go.

Roger,

You can eliminate the bitbanger cable several ways:

1. Write your own NitrOS-9 booter and drivers that talk to the 6551
and use your designed protocol to fetch sectors.
2. Extend your server software to talk the DriveWire 3 protocol, then
use the same NitrOS-9 bootfile to boot to your server.  You don't have
to abandon your own disk sector protocol for this, just support a
DriveWire 3 mode.

#1 requires work on the CoCo end, while #2 requires work on the PC
end.  I would encourage you do do #2, as it would allow HDB-DOS
DriveWire 3 to talk to your server as well.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
--
Tee-Boy