[Coco] CoCo Video Player Project

Allen Huffman ALSPLACE at POBOX.COM
Thu Apr 2 19:23:31 EDT 2009

Here's an idea I'd like to bounce off of everyone.

A few years ago, right when the Glenside IDE interface came out, there
was a guy who was using it to write a video player -- I cannot
remember who it was, for the life of me! Does anyone know what I am
talking about? I think he had made something that just blasted sectors
from the hard drive and spit them out to the screen, and had digitized
some stuff as a demo.

How much work would it be to do something like that, perhaps playing
video off of the SuperIDE Compact Flash card? It could be bare-metal
assembly code -- but would need to be able to play files of whatever
kind we convert to (a series of uncompressed frames, since storage
space on the card is not really an issue).  A bonus for doing sound.

Something like this would be a heck of a demo (if somewhat unpractical).

After seeing the link to the Timex Sinclair 1000 (that Sean sent from
the Midwest Gaming Expo), I figure if that machine can do "video", we
can do much more on the CoCo!

		-- Allen