[Coco] Drivewire 3 issues

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 13:04:24 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I just got Drivewire 3 burnt onto an EPROM and put it in a ROM Pak. It
is a great product and a marvelous gift to the CoCo community. Thanks
Cloud-9!

I have two issues with Drivewire 3:

1. Is it just me, or DW3 disables the CoCo 3 "Super" Extended Color
Basic? The startup message reads:

DISK EXTENDED COLOR BASIC 1.1
COPYRIGHT (C) 1982 BY TANDY
UNDER LICENSE FROM MICROSOFT

HDB-DOS 1.1D DW3 COCO 3

The SECB commands are all disabled. I especially miss WIDTH and PALETTE
(since I use a monochrome monitor). More importantly, some games have a
Basic loader containing SECB tokens, and I cannot run them for this reason.

2. I tried booting NitrOS-9 using the "nos96809l2_dw3.dsk" disk image.
It does boot, but it doesn't allow me to input anything from the
keyboard. However, I noticed the CoCo sends TIME requests to the DW3
host every minute, so I guess it is not frozen. Well, it's been 20 years
or so since I last played with OS-9, so maybe there's a magic keystroke
I don't remember.

Thanks,

Christian