[Coco] OT: Compiler fun - and Coco Ethernet

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Mon Sep 29 20:02:13 EDT 2008

Hey David

> This was the function inside the library:
>
> JUNKLIB_API int wrongreturn(char ugly1, char ugly2)
> {
> 	short result=0;
> 	result=ugly1*ugly2;
> 	return (result);
> }
>

> Anyway, I still stand by my earlier suggestion of telling the compiler
> exactly what you need, and then let "it" work out the details.

It's gonna take me some time to digest your post.  When I have some free
brain cycles later I've got some questions - thanks for the response
though.

> P.S. On a different, unrelated note:
>
> I saw earlier that you mentioned you were building an Ethernet adapter for
> the CoCo. How is that going? And what were your plans for an IP stack? I'm
> really curious about that one.

Actually I got the first run of production PCBs today, not just the
Ethernet but a few other things I mentioned as well (bootable IDE
controller, bootable high-density no-halt floppy controller, and dual
16550/PC Parallel port card).  I'll be in the lab on Wednesday
assembling and doing initial testing.

As for the network stack, probably in the form of a file manager.
Initially I'll write some user-space code to demonstrate basic
functionality, e.g., TFTP client/server and maybe a web server, just so
I can get the thing out to people with some sort of demo software...
but ultimately I'd like a real Berkeleyish socket interface.  Due to the
lack of select() system call that means things like a 'telnet' client
will have to be implemented as multiple processes, but OS-9 is
thankfully quite good at that :)

C.