[Coco] hard disk performance

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Fri Sep 26 16:37:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:02 -0700, Tim Fadden wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Lots peppier than mine!
>
> I am running mostly stock OS9L2 on a 6309 with scsisys 1.1 on two
> quantum 105s scsi drives, Disto 4in1 with no multipak
> they both test about the same.
>
> I get megaread times of 30sec.  I guess that would be about 34k/sec. So
> go ahead and make fun of my dog! he he he

In defense of your 'puppy,' it's probably doing blocking/deblocking of
512-byte sectors, always a killer.  I cheat and do no such thing :)

Plus if you're running stock OS9 you're probably suffering there too.
I'm pretty sure the NitrOS-9 team made some changes to the system to
remove some performance bottlenecks.  I'm no historian on this but I
think that was the 'tune-up' from whence NitrOS-9 came... eventually..

But it's good to know I'm at least in the right ballpark.

Thanks!
C.