[Coco] NitrOS-9 dcheck and hard disks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 25 20:00:54 EDT 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
>So dcheck doesn't like my 500-700MB disks.  I run dcheck and it likes to
>crap out with messages like "segment out of range" on disks that I am
>99% certain are perfectly clean (like, I just formatted them and copied
>a few files over).  Is this not the right tool for large disks?  Am I
>running across a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?
>
>C.

ISTR I ran into something similar with the 3.2.7 version of dcheck.  Robert
Gould then did some looking, as did I, and the upshot was Robert adjusted a
thing or two, which may or may not be in the 3.2.8 version of Nitros9, but it
should be in a fresh cvs checkout.

IIRC this has to do with multiple sector clusters.  Your sectors per cluster
value for 500-700 megs will have to be set to one of $02 (512 decimal megs),
$04 (1 gigabyte), $08 (2 gigabytes), $10(4 gigabytes), $20(8 gigabytes), $40
(16 gigabytes), $80(32 gigabytes) with $04 the minimum for those sized disks.

The original dcheck was written long before we ever had drives of over 131
decimal megabytes, as going over that requires the cluster size to be
incremented in powers of 2 in order to maintain the on disk FAT within the
64k max size limit.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)