[Coco] Where did you get that?

Thu Sep 25 18:23:24 EDT 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Chuck Youse wrote:
> One word:
>
> neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds!
>

> On Sep 25, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
>
>> That's interesting, and new to me.  Was Tandy involved?  How many
>> kids (I assume
>> it was for kids?  Age range?) attended, roughly, and for how long?
>> They were
>> taught programming techniques there?  BASIC only?
>>
>> Art
>>

>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Neil Morrison wrote:
>>
>>> In the USA and in Canada they ran Computer Camp for a couple of
>>> years. I
>>> taught it once in Canada.

Aww, Chuck.  You're just jealous 'cause you didn't get to go, like
me!  :-p

I went to a computer camp in my city one summer, probably when I was
around 12.  It was offered by the city and held in one of the local
schools.  They apparently hired Tandy to run it, however.  Instead of
the usual Apple IIe's I was expecting--that's the only computer the
schools would purchase--I walked into a classroom full of CoCo 2's!

The downside was I already knew how to program in BASIC on the CoCo--
that's the computer I had at home.  The first half of the day was
spent learning how to program, the second and more popular half was
playing Program Pak games.  I brought in my tapes of Donkey King and
Grabber, wanting to impress the kids with better games than you'd
normally get from Radio Shack--the instructor insisted I could only
bring in legally acquired games, by the way--but unfortunately his
tape deck couldn't read them.

-- JP