[Coco] Dealing with unwanted topics and some rambling on my coco stuff

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 24 05:03:43 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008, wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
>>  I really love this list and it makes me sad when someone gives up and
>> drops out.
>
>Annoys me too, especially when it happens after one of my occasional
> political rants in response to somebody else.  (I have my priorities and
> unfortunately, at this time of my life, freedom comes first).
>
>>  We are (like it or not) a family.
>
>We're friends.  Family by choice, not genetics, praise G-D.
>
>>  Fight, we will. Love, we must.
>
>Damned straight.
>
>>  Live with it.
>
>I have for a decade so far and G-D willing, decades yet to come.  And
> hopefully some of our "older" members will be here during those decades.
> (Gene is old enough to be my elder brother, or maybe even my uncle if a
> parents' sibling had married young).  (I'm full of crap there, Gene is
> older than my mom, but a lot smarter and I'm only 53).

Thanks for the flowers, Ward, and I'll have 21 years on you come the 10/04
date on the calendar.

> (But I'll still
> consider him my elder brother -- a boy from Los Angeles [who unfortunately
> has been in New Jersey for most of two decades]

That is your fault. :)

> can love and respect and
> learn a lot of neat things from a West Virginia hillbilly, and a lot of
> other folks from across the planet).  (Mind you, Gene and I could be
> related -- when my father's family came over from Wales in the 1850s, they
> settled where there was work they knew how to do, which was digging deep
> holes).

AFAIK, there aren't any Griffiths up my family tree, which we've traced back
into the early 1800's.  Frakes, Stark's, Sweet's, Hartman's, all basically
German farmers, distantly related (2nd cousins or some such) to Presidents
Madison and Polk. OTOH, boys will be boys, and girls are generally glad of
it. So only God knows for sure. :)

>I'm sorry, folks.  Every once in a while you will see me go off on an
> off-topic political (well, usually anti-political) rant.  Usually in
> response to somebody else.  I'm still a major Color Computer geek. --

So am I, just recently re-writing the mouse driver in Nitros9 so it would run
on my coco3.  I needed to get multivue working again.

As for the politics, I'm in favor of cleaning all 3 houses.  From T.
Jefferson, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots
and tyrants from time to time, and God help us if we go twenty years without
it."  Unforch, the mechanisms by which we can do that with the ballot box
were designed to protect the status quo since it doesn't seem possible to
align the election process so we could do it all in one swell foop.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)