[Coco] George's CNC Machine (WAS: Something else)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 23 23:29:53 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
>On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 19:12 -0500, George Ramsower wrote:
>> --------- Coco CNC Machine (yes, I'm stuck on that)
>>
>>  Making an S on my CNC Coco machine(engraving)  is tough. Too many
>> angles!!
>>

>>  I've been working on this one for three days. The font I'm working on
>> requires six arcs to make that letter...bummer.
>
>I have no experience whatsoever with milling machines (though it sounds
>intriguing - there's another guy lurking 'round here by the name of Ron
>Bihler who plays with CNC machines as part of his business, maybe he's
>listening) - maybe you can describe the problems you have.  I'm not
>mechanically inclined but my trig and calc are pretty good.  You start
>talking about approximating arcs and I start thinking Riemann sums..
>
>C.
I'm not Ron B., but I do have a small amount of cnc experience, running emc on
a linux box to run a Harbor Freight MicroMill that has been heavily modified.
emc can run up to 9 axis's, and I'm currently running 4 myself.  The
processing power required to do that math in real time needs a faster machine
than the coco, but it can do it nicely on an old xp-1400 athlon, drawing
characters on the workpiece at speeds in the 10 inches a minute range, at any
angle, to sub-micron accuracy if the mechanics are that good.  Mine aren't,
but can usually stay under a thou for error.