[Coco] Need new disk drive...

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Sep 18 09:34:58 EDT 2008

Chuck Youse wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 08:04 +0100, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> If set for 40 tracks, double sided in the os9 descriptor then yes.
>>>
>> <pedantic mode>
>> Or 80 track single sided.....as IIRC some early Atari ST machines used,
>> at least here in the UK.
>> </pedantic>
>>

>>>                                                                But I
>>> believe that chip can have the high speed data rate hack applied, which means
>>> the nearest $25 3.5" 1.44 meg drive with HD diskettes can be used in it.
>>>
>> But then wouldn't that be DSHD ? Double sided, High density ? Was this
>> what was sometimes refered to as Quad density, or was that 80 tracks as
>> opposed to 40 ?
>>

> "Quad density" (a misnomer, of course) 5.25" drives were 80 tracks,
> double-density.  720K per diskette.. not too common, but I remember the
> Tandy 2000 had 'em.
>
> C.

I think you're right, Chuck.  I remember using a Sage in college that
used those "Quad Density" drives.  They weren't the same as the "High
Density" 1.2M.  Double Density was 48tpi, Quad Density was 96tpi.  I
guess by that measure, the 1.2M would be "Octuple Density," which is
undoubtedly why they just got called "High Density."

The Sage was an interesting bird.  68000, USCD P-system.  I remember it
had one castle/kingdom simulation type game on it that seemed pretty fun
at the time, though I can't remember the exact name.  All I can think of
is Kings & Castles, but that was a CoCo game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAGE_Computer_Technology  Interesting as it
was, the CoCo was more fun.

JCE