[Coco] Need new disk drive...

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 00:38:52 EDT 2008

On 9/17/08, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
>>Am I missing something?  Double-sided double-density 5.25" drives are
>>360K, no?
>>
> If set for 40 tracks, double sided in the os9 descriptor then yes.  But I
> believe that chip can have the high speed data rate hack applied, which
> means
> the nearest $25 3.5" 1.44 meg drive with HD diskettes can be used in it.

---

A high density mod using the MB8877A has been done by one of the
members of this list. It's somewhat more complicated than just
attaching an HD drive. He used the early version of Tandy's 26-3029
controller, some of which had a WD1793 while others came with the
MB8877A. He still has the information and photos up on his web site:

<http://www.doki-doki.net/~lamune/computers/coco/hd-floppy/>

Darren