[Coco] STATUS - Re: Resurrecting a CoCo (26-3001) with a 26-3029 FDC.

Ryan Pritchard coconut at pritchard.ca
Tue Sep 16 23:24:33 EDT 2008

Even more confirmation, I wrote a simple BASIC program, saved it.
Then turned the computer off and on, loaded the program and ran it.
All is good in the world for this CoCo 1.

Regards,

Ryan Pritchard
Fun Extends All Basic Life Expectancies

On 16-Sep-08, at 9:29 PM, Ryan Pritchard wrote:

> [...]
> format.
>
> Time to follow the instructions for the 64K ram upgrade that several
> people responded with the instructions for, and get myself NitrOS-9
> running on this fine piece of machinery.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ryan Pritchard
> Fun Extends All Basic Life Expectancies
>

> On 12-Sep-08, at 4:50 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
>
>> When you say you get IO errors "at the end" of the formatting
>> routine, I suspect
>> you are actually getting them in the middle of the routine, when
>> DSKINI has
>> finished writing the tracks (or trying to do so, at least) and
>> first attempts to
>> read back from the disk to make sure everything went okay.  So,
>> that raises the
>> question of whether your drives are able to read (or write)
>> anything at all.
>> Have you checked to see whether an already-formatted disk can be
>> read?  Does the
>> drive light come on when a drive is accessed?  It sounds like you
>> might have a
>> hardware problem with your disk controller, if both drives are
>> equally affected.
>> (If the drive lights are on all the time, you may heave a sigh of
>> relief, for
>> that would mean simply that you've plugged the drive cable in
>> upside down.)
>>
>> Art
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Ryan Pritchard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone who had responded the to my original post.
>>> Here is
>>> a status update, and from the status I am hoping for some further
>>> assistance.
>>>
>>> Thanks go out to Darren A for setting me up with a Extended Color
>>> Basic 1.1 ROM.
>>>
>>> My 26-3029 FDC is the 7 chip WD1773 based version thus I will not be
>>> able to mod it to work at HD.  Oh Well!
>>>
>>> I have been trying to format disks in either 3.5" or 5.25" (I can't
>>> believe I had two boxes of KAO 5.25" DSDD never opened kicking
>>> around).  Anyway I get IO errors at the end of the formatting
>>> routine
>>> regardless of 3.5" or 5.25" drive / media.
>>> Here is a list of my 5.25" FDDs:
>>> Panasonic JU-475-4 A55
>>> Panasonic JU-455-5 AAG
>>> Teac FD-55GFR-570-U
>>> Teac FD-55GFR 149-U5
>>> Mitsumi F509V3
>>>
>>> 3.5" FDDs
>>> Fujitsu M2537D15D
>>> Fujitsu M2537B11D
>>> Teac FD-235HF 3240-U5
>>>
>>> For all the drives I have tried to ensure that the DC/RY jumpers are
>>> set to Drive Ready and not Drive Change.  I have jumper settings for
>>> some of them, but it seems to not help. The cable I am using has
>>> been
>>> returned to straight through mode.
>>>
>>> I am still looking for confirmed 64K ram upgrade instructions for
>>> 26-3001 REV E board.  Currently it has 16K installed, the jumpers