[Coco] Paladin's Legacy

Allan Chaney chaneya at acwoodworksinc.com
Sat Sep 13 17:08:40 EDT 2008

George,

I've never heard of that TV show.

The game was my own unique creation however the design was heavily
influenced by the Ultima series of games on the Apple computer.  Ultima came
out in the early 1980s programmed by Richard Garriott founder of of Origin
Systems and was followed with Ultima II, III, IV etc. etc.  The story in
Paladin's Legacy is completely unique but again heavily influenced by
everything J.R.R. Tolkien (As is just about all Fantasy).  This style of
game is basically Pen and paper D&D on computer.  Ultima and Wizardy were a
couple of the first attempts to graphically represent a D&D style game on
computer.  To this day, I vividly remember playing Ultima I for the first
time on an Apple computer at a friend's house while I was in High School.
We stayed up all night and played.  I received my Color Computer for
Christmas around that time and was horrified to find that there were no
games like Ultima available for it.  So I started programming.  4 years
later, during my junior year in college, I sent the game off and the third
company who reviewed it wanted to publish it.  A conversion to COCO 3, many
many bug fixes, and a year later and by Christmas 1989 it was finally done.
Unfortunately the COCO market was collapsing at that point.  So it sold for
about 4 months and then that was it.

Allan