[Coco] COCO to PC transfer and Using VCC

Allan Chaney chaneya at acwoodworksinc.com
Thu Sep 11 13:55:34 EDT 2008

Fred,

Thanks for the compliment.  Yes I wrote it on a COCO II and then sent it off
to Sundog in the fall of 1988.  Glen Dahlgren with Sundog loved the game but
wanted me to get it running on the COCO3 as well and to keep it under 64k so
it would work on all COCO models.  It took me an entire year to not only get
it running on the COCO 3 but to get it polished enough for commercial
release and to convert my then basic disk I/O into assembly.  I finished it
just in time for Christmas 1989.  That experience convinced me NOT to pursue
computer programming as a career but to keep it as a loved hobby.

Anyway....if you decide to play the game again.  I can tell you everything
you could possibly want to know.  I have also scanned the manual in case you
or anyone else wants it.

I just replayed the game for the first time in almost 20 years and I was
shocked how hard it was just getting started with a new character.  So just
a tip....when you role your character max out your strength and Dexterity
and don't worry about intelligence and Wisdom. You can increase those when
you find Black Boxes in the Mines.  Also hit that first Human City and buy a
weapon and armor and Wear and Arm yourself to improve your AC and WC.
Another huge tip is....Just west of the starting location in the game,
through the thick forest is the Elven City of Elm.  In the upper right
corner of that city are a couple of elves hanging out by a fire.  Talk to
one and he tells you of a Wood Nymph that comes out on the darkest of
nights.  That Wood Nymph will heal you to full health for free if you are
pure of heart.  Do any transactions at the City of Thieves and you become
evil.  Also you are asked that question at the beginning of the game. Go to
the Cathedral just west of your starting point and give alms for become pure
of heart.

I don't know what I was thinking when I charged 100 gold for a healing
potion from the Bishop in the Cathedral.  And it only heals for 100 HP??!.
That's nuts!

Allan Chaney