[Coco] Faster CoCo for George... Was: Re: OT: Gramical nitpiking >My CC3>CC4

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Sep 7 13:12:56 EDT 2008

George Ramsower wrote:
> I would be tickled pink to have a 20mhz CC3 that would use my existing
> hardware. I can easily get another keyboard and monitor. However, I
> cannot easily replace all the stuff that plugs into a coco and the
> software I've developed for it.
> My CNC stuff would work faster and better also!
>
> This is selfish of me, I know.
>
>  I want MORE in a coco.
>
> More speed!
>
> Just simply.... more SPEED!

George, If you haven't already noticed Gary Becker's latest FPGA CoCo 3
announcement in this list, you might want to take a look.  It appears
after a first glance through the documentation that there is no CoCo
compatible hardware expansion bus implemented in this design, so hooking
your custom CNC motor controllers up to this beast may not be possible
without some further work.  But it does run at about 20MHz, and the
design is open.  So even if you don't feel like learning how to modify
the design to do what you want, hooking up real CoCo peripherals to the
FPGA board is likely to be something that many other users would want to
do, so it may well be something that others will work on for you.  It is
at exactly this point that James Jones will chime in and remind us that
many FPGAs don't play nice with 5V logic.  :)  So making a CoCo
expansion bus for this design may turn out to be non-trivial.  Still,
this is a major step in the right direction towards a faster and more
capable CoCo for the future.

JCE