[Coco] FOR REAL! Program listings on the list

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 18:02:44 EDT 2008

From: "Chuck Youse"

> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 16:03 -0500, George Ramsower wrote:
>
>>  Right now, I'm struggling with straight lines that aren't 90 or 180
>> degrees. The math is messing with my stepper motor routines and I'm
>> gaining
>> and losing steps, throwing the total count off and therefore I end up in
>> the
>> wrong places over large drawings with many angles to deal with. It's only
>> few thousands of an inch, but when they have to come together in the end,
>> it
>> all adds up.
>
> Interesting.  A year or so ago I had to write 8051 assembly to drive
> stepper motors for the reels of a mechanical slot machine.  Post away,
> let's take a peek.
>
> And sorry about the off-topic posts.  I mean, is anyone still on dial-up
> these days?
>
> C.

 I was on dial up until just about four months ago.The Coco list was never a
problem with me, it's the web that was killing me.
 The Weather channel and doppler radar, in motion, would take MINUTES to
load. Now it's only  a few seconds.

 Right now, I'm waiting for approval for the listings, which will be sent in
seperate emails, from the administrator as he finds my email and time to
reply.

 For now, I'm going to experiment on formatting of these so they are legible
in an email.

 I don't intend to list the entire routine anyway. Just the affected parts
for brevity and clarity. It's not for security reasons.
 I think, once it's all done and I'm happy with it, it might make a feature
story on Mary's newsletter. Photos, schematics, program listings and all
that.

 Should anyone care.

  If I knew how much work this was going to be, I may not have started this
project, but now it's just a matter of programming. The mechanics are done.

 More speed would be nice, but I've plenty of time to watch TV and drink a
beer while my coco is grinding away at something.

 Engraving 1/2 inch high 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 onto softdrink can sheet metal
takes about 14 minutes. At 1/10 inch height, it takes only about five
minutes.
 It takes a LONG time to engrave a four inch high number. Next, I have to do
the alpha characters. Here's the catch on angles ...A K M N Q R V W X Y and

 Okay... it's not softdrink cans, it's beer cans and I have plenty of them.
Usually I use paper, and a ball point pen in the mill head for development.

 Meanwhile, I'm working on an idea that may work. I should know something in
a few hours, depending on how much I build up my stock pile of aluminum
sheet. More sheets mean less productivity. It takes more brain power to
collect those aluminum sheets than it does to develop the coco, I think..
er, the best I think I can think, as it goes ahead.

George