[Coco] Question about the reply behavior of this email list

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Mon Sep 1 14:38:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:57:30 -0700, "John" <johnguin at hotmail.com> had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Hello all,
>
>Been on this list awhile and I've gotten bit by the behavior that pressing
>"reply" on email replies to the list instead of the sender.
>
>Does anyone remember why this behavior exists?
>
>And should (could) we talk to Dennis to change the behavior:
>
>1.       "Reply" replies to the sender

Practically all email lists have the reply to going to the list. I'm
currently subscribed to about 25 lists. Only one has reply to sender:
a freecycle list, it's used to force off list responses.

One list that I subscribe that only replied back to the sender had
random replies, posts with a problem & mostly no responses to it.
Which resulted in the archive being somewhat useless.  It has been
changed to reply to the list, since then the email archive has become
useful and everyone gets to know the outcome.

One question I have on the 'reply to sender/reply all to list' is:
what's the big secret in the reply? :-)

I've also noticed that this one of those touchy subjects, where & when
ever it's brought up.

Stephen