[Coco] OT - Oil Companies

Bill Barnes da3m0n_slay3r at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 01:11:20 EDT 2008

Wanna add insult to injury??? From what I understand, our (U.S.) Gov't subsidizes these companies in the name of "finding alternate power sources." They dont want to build new refineries due to "cost" of making a new refinery that complies with regulatory standards for new refineries.

Hmmm, They Got us by the nose when it comes to gas prices.... they get $$$ to find something they are in no hurry to release to the public, if they even are seriously researching alternatives... They raise prices at any excuse, and lower only as they see fit (usually as slow as they can get away with, as you noted Frank).

They argue through their special interest groups that govt regulation of prices is guaranteed to lead to the shortages of the '70s AND try to convince any of us who attempt to research of the same. (I wouldnt doubt that the shortage was artificial, as in the oil companies made sure we didnt have enough.)

I wouldnt doubt the first level of gouging is at the corporate level, and then by some stations (where they think they can get away with it). As you also said Frank, one company's price rises, the others follow suit. Through "zones" a gas station near a freeway can be more expensive than one further from the freeway.

It does boil down to one thing: corporate greed, and the buying off of our elected officials (using FUD and other propaganda techniques).