[Coco] STATUS - Re: Resurrecting a CoCo (26-3001) with a 26-3029 FDC.

Ryan Pritchard coconut at pritchard.ca
Fri Sep 12 08:22:04 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who had responded the to my original post.  Here is
a status update, and from the status I am hoping for some further
assistance.

Thanks go out to Darren A for setting me up with a Extended Color
Basic 1.1 ROM.

My 26-3029 FDC is the 7 chip WD1773 based version thus I will not be
able to mod it to work at HD.  Oh Well!

I have been trying to format disks in either 3.5" or 5.25" (I can't
believe I had two boxes of KAO 5.25" DSDD never opened kicking
around).  Anyway I get IO errors at the end of the formatting routine
regardless of 3.5" or 5.25" drive / media.
Here is a list of my 5.25" FDDs:
Panasonic JU-475-4 A55
Panasonic JU-455-5 AAG
Teac FD-55GFR-570-U
Teac FD-55GFR 149-U5
Mitsumi F509V3

3.5" FDDs
Fujitsu M2537D15D
Fujitsu M2537B11D
Teac FD-235HF 3240-U5

For all the drives I have tried to ensure that the DC/RY jumpers are
set to Drive Ready and not Drive Change.  I have jumper settings for
some of them, but it seems to not help. The cable I am using has been
returned to straight through mode.

I am still looking for confirmed 64K ram upgrade instructions for the
26-3001 REV E board.  Currently it has 16K installed, the jumpers all
mention the 32K setting.  The closest instructions I have found are
from an archive of Paul Demarni's Coco pages (http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/coco_page.html
).  It instructs about the 32K upgrade and makes reference to him
having instructions for the 64K upgrade.

The other resource I have read about is from the October 1983 issue of
Color Computer Magazine, I really hope someone has that issue, that I
can acquire a scan of the article or arrange to acquire the issue.

Regards,

Ryan Pritchard
Fun Extends All Basic Life Expectancies